Sunday, November 1, 2009

New Tyres for the tired...

My tyres are way overdue. The old faithful Yokohama S306 have served me well. Well, for that profile 195/55/R15, it really served me well with the quiet and comfortable soft feeling that I get when I drive around. And it's really steady for a tyre that had been sitting in the storeroom for 2 years.

My tyres dated 2005... I bought them in 2007 but people tell me that tyres harden even when you don't use them. Since I am a low usage and safe driver, I decided to ignore the 2 years shelf life and just continue with the recommended on-the-road tyre life of 2 years (Actually, also because I wanted to save cost on changing tyres as it doesn't feel "monetary-correct" to change brand new tyres when I first got the car). So my tyres are actually 4 years old now, way overdue... And after much nagging from dear old friends of mine (thank you so much for caring for my safety... ), I decided to change them yesterday.

The tyre changing ritual started with the inevitable price checking... People (friends and car forums) tell me that Klang can offer very competitive prices for all kinds of brands. They tell me that depending on the type of tyre I get, I can save up to RM50 per tyre and that savings can cover the petrol cost of going all the way down there and also even cover a bak-kut-teh meal or two.... Hmmm very tempting... especially the bak-kut-teh bit.. :)hahaha...

Anyway, one good guy told me that there's a reputable tyre shop in Maluri, Cheras which could match the price ... maybe slightly more expensive by RM5 or RM10.

Prices quoted by Klang was Yokohama - RM180, Falken - RM175, Bridgestone - RM155, Michelin - RM200.

Price at Cheras was Falken - RM175 by cash, RM180 by credit card.

And I thought, well, why not, since it's more convenient for me to do my chores during lunch time than during weekends. And so to Cheras we went on that fine Friday as most of us have more flexible lunch time on Fridays.

It was an eventful Friday. Most of the guys just wanted a change of taste when it comes to lunch, so we all packed ourselves into 2 cars and headed to the town which is famous for its seafood noodles. Tyres were changed in 1 hour. The price came with free balancing, free alignment and free checking of the year of the tyres (my friend actually went to check the year the tyres were made and ensured that I got the latest tyres... :)) Will let you know how to check the age of the tyres in my next installment... meanwhile, I have to go wash my car and get some pictures.. :)

Thanks guys. Didn't bring enough cash the other day for the seafood noodles... next meal on me.. :)

No comments: